My business is obligated - What's next?
Once you've determined that you are an obligated steward you must then register with the stewardship agency in the province in which you are obligated. Links are provided below:
- Stewardship Ontario - Registration
- Recyle BC - Registration
- Multi-Material Stewardship Manitoba - Registration
- Multi-Material Stewardship Western - Registration
- Éco Entreprises Québec - Registration
Companies must submit annual reports on their packaging activities to calculate their obligation, which in turn translates into the fee to be paid. A Company’s obligation is calculated based on;
- the quantity and materials reported
- the activities carried out
- recycling costs
Fees vary by material type and pricing is based on market prices for collecting and recycling. These may fluctuate from year to year, which can have significant implications for businesses in terms of budgeting and cost, so good quality packaging data is important. Compiling this data can be a cumbersome and sometimes overwhelming task, regardless of whether you are new to stewardship reporting or not.